A Look Inside Oil Filters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look Inside Oil Filters

Ok Sadly this thread will be limited to the oil filters that I have and will be updated when I get a hold of more filters. I will also be limiting this to filters that fit the KL-series engines. If you would like to donate a filter for me to check out them please let me know.

***Stock Replacement KL-Series Oil Filters***

AC Delco #PF2057 - 2"x37.5" = 75 square inches of filter.

***ZR1 Style Oil Filter*** (Called this due to the fact it is the stock replacement filter for a 90-95 Corvette ZR1)

Napa #1324 - 2.75"x82" = 225.5 square inches of filter.

Fram #PH3985 - 2.5"x46" = 115 square inches of filter.

STP #S3985 - 2"x73" = 146 square inches of filter.

Ok Sadly this thread will be limited to the oil filters that I have and will be updated when I get a hold of more filters. I will also be limiting this to filters that fit the KL-series engines. If you would like to donate a filter for me to check out them please let me know.

We will start with an AC Delco PF2057. This is a stock replacement filter for the KL-series motors.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01020 (Custom).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1196

Here it is in an exploded view.

Name:	DSC01021 (Custom).JPG
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1197

Next I cut the paper filter off for some measurements.

Name:	DSC01022 (Custom).JPG
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1198

Now I measure the width of the paper. Right at 2" wide.

Name:	DSC01023 (Custom).JPG
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1199

On to measuring the length. Right at about 38.5". Now 0.5" on each end was glued together so that brings down the usable length to 37.5".

Name:	DSC01024 (Custom).JPG
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1200

Now we figure up the usable square inches that this filter provided. 37.5" x 2" = 75 square inches of filter. So there we have it. In the future I will do other filter brands and also the zr1 filters that fit our cars.

Comment

Ok so I ended up going past my normal oil change time so it took longer to get this information than I wanted. It's done now and here are the specs that I have that will show you the difference between a stock style filter and the upgraded zr1 style filter that fits our cars.

This filter is the Napa brand #1324. This is not listed for the Probe but is a direct replacement for our stock filters. Napa brand filters are made by WIX if you were not aware.

Name:	DSC00788 (Custom).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1204

Here is a pic of the filter taken apart. That spring is nice and strong. I did not attempt to get a spring weight from it because I have no way to measure it currently. Let it be known that the bypass in this filter is stronger than the stock style filter and will increase your oil pressure which on our cars that is a good thing.

Name:	DSC00789 (Custom).JPG
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1205

Here is the next exploded view once the filter material had been cutoff. Without any measurements you can clearly see how much more filter area there is.

Name:	DSC00790 (Custom).JPG
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1206

Measuring the width of the filter material it is approximately 2.75". That is .75" wider than the stock style filter for our cars.

Name:	DSC00791 (Custom).JPG
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1207

Now I did not have a hand to help me get the pic of the length but it measured out at 82". That figures out to 225.5 square inches of filter. That is 150.5 square inches more than the stock style filter I done in the above post.

More brands of the zr1 style filter will be done as time goes on. This will hopefully help you decide on which filter may be the best choice for your car.

Comment

Fram #PH3985

Name:	DSC03873.JPG
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	3512

Exploded View. I was blown away with how cheaply this filter is made.

Name:	DSC03874.JPG
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	3513

Width of the filter area measures out at 2.5". Not too shabby there.

Name:	DSC03876.JPG
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	3515

Length came in at 46". This was fairly sad in my opinion.

Name:	DSC03877.JPG
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	3514

This figures up to 115 square inches of filter area. On a side note. The previous filters were your standard paper filters. The Fram does not use the basic paper filter, but instead it seems more like felt than anything. (UPDATE - The filter material is actually made up from cellulose.) I also wanted to note that the Fram uses fiber end disks instead of metal end disks. Overall I felt it was very poorly constructed inside.

Comment

STP #S3985

Name:	DSC03878.JPG
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	3518

Exploded View.

Name:	DSC03879.JPG
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	3520

Width measures out at 2". I was expecting a little more.

Name:	DSC03881.JPG
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	3517

Length measures out at 73"

Name:	DSC03882.JPG
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	3519

I was expecting a little more width from this filter but the length wasn't too bad. This one figured out to have 146 square inches of filter area. Due to the part number I figured this filter was made by Fram, but a peek inside proves it was not.

Comment

Working...
          X